Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Arroz Caldo at Manila Sunset - Fountain Valley


You wouldn't think a bowl of porridge, especially one priced at $2.50 would be worth mentioning, let alone writing the following wordy essay about. But I was craving something to soothe my sore throat and it hit me; Arroz Caldo. Yes, that's it. I thought! A bowl of steaming, hot congee, made with chicken stock, generous chunks of tender chicken meat, chopped scallions and crumbled fried garlic. Man, would that hit the spot! And it did.

The styrofoam bowl, filled to the brim with this most comforting of comfort foods, looks ordinary enough. The color of the chickeney, light congee (rice porridge) was barely yellow, more of a dull white. If it weren't for the sprinkling of green onions, it would be downright monochromatic. Then you dig in with your plastic spoon, and you find tender slightly pink chunks of boneless chicken thigh. You slurp a few spoonfuls. The unmistakable depth of chicken stock fills your mouth, while the velvety texture of the congee soothes. The fried garlic pieces, golden and crisp, is used sparingly, just enough to get a few bursts from these flavor crystals now and then. The scallions provide a bit of spiciness and herbiness, like counterpoints to a melody. A simple dish for a measly price ($2.50), but one that, in my opinion, is worth every word I've written and every cent I spent.

Manila Sunset Restaurant
(714) 662-15111
7870 Newhope St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

*Note: Manila Sunset of Fountain Valley has gone out of business.

7 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear they are going to move to cerritos or somewhere in glendale, according to one of the store branches. I wil wait for that in the meantime.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where Manila Sunset is right now?

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove all the way from Riverside and found Manila Sunset was gone! Is there anywhere else that anyone knows of that I can go to in my area? I will truly miss their pancit palabok!

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know abour Manila sunset, but there is a Manila sunrise in carson..you might wanna try them. their palabok is good too. It is at Main st. just at the corner of St. philomena church

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

Is there a Manila Sunset in the San Fernando Valley?

What else is on their menu?

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know there's one on Nogales in West Covina. Really good Pancit Malabon there. I'm always tempted to try something new but the pancit is too good for me to pass up.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a New Filipino food place in Huntington Beach that is pretty good. It's called Cabalen Grill and it is at 6441 McFadden Avenue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home