Sunday, December 20, 2009

Marc Burger's Frozen Custard at Macy's Signature Kitchen - Costa Mesa

Every who*
Was at South Coast Plaza,
Christmas rush in full swing.

So too
Was us,
Doing ever the same thing.

We aimlessly wandered from store to store, building up quite a thirst.
We still had lots to do, but we said, "Let's get a drink first."
The closest thing was Macy's Signature Kitchen at the time.
It would do, we said; her for a cola, and I, lemon lime.
But it was on the Marc Burger menu that I found a much better treat.
So we settled on free water; our calories, we would eat.

Now, Marc Burger is usually known for its beef, buns and mustard,
But from here on out, I'll know it for its custard!
Again this wasn't ice cream, not frogurt, or soft serve.
But it is frozen like them all; softly piped tall to a curve.
It reminds me of the smoothest French-style vanilla that I've eaten,
Into which the yolk of a hen's egg must be beaten.

The color is a dull, creamy yellow, like unburnt creme brulees.
It's also just as rich, ideal then, for sharing two-ways.
Its creaminess blooms in the mouth with a fullness of flavor.
The vanilla slowly melting, every drop precious, to sip and to savor.
You don't often see frozen custard like this, not around here.
It's the egg, you see, it's the salmonella they fear.

For the dessert, two twenty five is charged, a fair meager fee;
The cheapest thing on the menu, and the last thing you'll see.
So after our treat, we were happy and continued on shopping.
Oh by the way, the dessert is served sans any topping.
It's better that way, pristinely calming and all.
Now if only I could say the same for the mall.


Macy's Signature Kitchen
Macy's Home Store‎
3333 Bear St
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 708-3333

*With apologies to Dr. Seuss

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour - Mission Viejo

10 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

*Clap clap clap clap* :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous rey said...

We happened to go to Macy's Signature Kitchen when their daily special was the custard for $1. Really good!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

Excellent poem (?)! You are enticing me to go back to Irvine again although I just went there more than two times last month. Pricing looks much better compared to Yogurtland.

Is it just me or is it that we all love eating cold foods in the winter and hot foods in the summer?

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Melissa,

HAH! ;-) I promise that I'll only subject people to my butchering of the iambic pentameter once a year. Last year's was as fun to write as this one.

rey,

Dang boy! A dollar?! I'll have to call them and see when they'll do that again!

EatTravelEat,

Oh yes, I wouldn't come all the way down here just for this! But it is a definitely a different ball game than Yogurtland, which for some reason makes me shiver (best for summer), whereas this frozen custard makes me feel warm. Wierd!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

A review wrapped in a poem! Love it!
Now I'm tempted to go to Culver's to get some frozen custard. That's where we get our custard fix up here. Plus, I avoid the mall this time of year. That's what the internet is for.

Happy holidays!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks Juliet! And a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger imjustatree said...

happy holidays elmo! what...no ode to strickland's? ;)

and just out of curiosity, what major were you?

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Sawyer,

Happy Holidays to you!

HA! Yes, at least for now, no poem for Strickland's. Though I still visit once a week (for their Thirsty Thursdays)! There's plenty of rhyming couplets for future odes, however!

And my major? Well it's not English, but it does start with the same first three letters!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous, simply fabulous...(your ode to frozen custard)...and the custard itself sounded lovely, too. Read this on Chowhound and just wanted to applaud you here on your blog...I have no idea who you are, but nice job!
>>^..^<<
kattyeyes

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

April,

Thanks! I'm just your average guy who occasionally aspires to do some creative writing exercises as an excuse to amuse himself! But I'm glad you liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home