Monday, February 21, 2011

Gelato Paradiso - Newport Beach

Every time I'm at Fashion Island, I am aware of Gelato Paradiso's presence inside its food court like the chocolatey Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop.

As the food court changes and evolves, Gelato Paradiso seems a constant, the Rock of Gibraltar if it were made out of milk and sugar. I'm of the belief that if there ever came a time that Gelato Paradiso fails at Fashion Island, Armaggedon is upon us. There always seems to be customers lining up at the stand at all hours.

And this is a good thing for gelato. The product thrives on turnover. It is imperative that it is never allowed to freeze fully, lest you want a solid block of inedible frozen milk.

If you've been enjoying the gelato here, or if you haven't, this is a good time to go. From now until the end of the week, as part of a gloomy day special (or something like that, I forget), they are offering their medium cups ($4.25) for the price of a small one ($3.75). And in Newport Beach, especially Fashion Island, such a discount is a rarity.

I took the opportunity, as the cheapskate in me is required to do, to take advantage. I had them scoop up for my dessert half of the Milk Chocolate Hazelnut and half of the Hazelnut.

And it was good, tiny spoon-licking good, smooth as velvet where there wasn't itty-bitty chunks of actual hazelnut. It only occurred to me afterward that I missed the chance to pair the Milk Chocolate Hazelnut with their Banana to create a Nutella-Banana thing that I've only imagined in my Willy Wonka dreams. But then I realized, there's still time.

Gelato Paradiso
952 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 640-9256

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Roots Gourmet - Long Beach

7 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger dumplings said...

Long time no see!

I'm glad you found this place too. I remember being there to pick up some Sprinkles and randomly tried the gelato here. Their gloomy day specials will definitely bring me back this week!

Just something random: Did you hear about the Golden Trio event at Bazaar this week? $25 for their Philly steak, beer, and chocolate. As the way Tasting Table puts it, it's "chocolate rolled in gold dust."

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

I find it interesting how the scoops look so cylindrical and how the split between the two scoops is so even! It sure sounds tasty...what a smart business move to offer discounts on cold days.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

dumplings,

Hey! Welcome back! $25 for their Philly and beer and chocolate? That sounds like a good deal. Although, now that I think about it, I'd need about six of those Philly cheesers to satiate me. They are freakin' good though!

EatTravelEat,

Weird how that happens right? I saw that it was consistent on each cup they scooped. I think it has to do with the way the cup pushes up one side up to make that cylinder.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Diamond Dog said...

Do you think that most people could tell the difference if I put a scoop of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in front of them and a scoop of Gelato and asked them to point to the one that was Gelato after tasting it?

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Sidney said...

Oh you can totally tell the difference between this and Ben & Jerry's. You can tell the difference between this and Häagen-Dazs. It's a completely different ball game.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Agreed! Gelato has a lighter, not-as-fatty presence on the tongue than ice cream (especially Paradiso's). Not that's better than ice cream, it's just different!

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Cheap Gold for WOW said...

The sauce that bridged the veg with the protein was nouc cham, the classic and workman-like Vietnamese fish sauce that sloshed around as a puddle at the bottom of the dish.
What can we do when we have much free time? How about to play the online games? When we talk about the online game, we have to talk about the WOW Gold? Because the WOW is the world's most famous online game, every one knows that we have to get the Cheap WOW Gold to save money !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home