Monday, December 28, 2009

Buffalo Wild Wings - Lake Forest

I didn't plan to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings, but I did, and I liked it. It's everything that every American craves. It's fried. It's chicken. It's served in a dark room with multiple flat screens tuned to sports.

And on Boneless Thursdays, the boneless wings are discounted to 65 cents each, which again, I didn't plan on. But as a frugal American, a discounted fried chicken meal is better than one at full price.

But, as you know, "boneless wings" are a misnomer. They're just breast meat pieces, skinless, cut into nuggets, and covered in batter. No need to work your teeth around the bones (though, frankly, it isn't as much fun).

All that's required that you order in multiples of six for each saucing option, and oh yeah, a fork, lest you want your fingers all gunked up for no reason.

We took the Asian Zing, the Medium, the Honey BBQ, and the Parmesan Garlic, along with a basket of herb-dusted potato wedges, because if you're eating fried chicken, why not fried potatoes also.

The Asian Zing was shellacked in a tooth-rotting, diabetes-causing, overly-sweet syrup that apes the Orange Chicken from Panda Express, but what I suspect is bottled Thai chili sauce -- good, but in dire need of steamed rice. The Honey BBQ was similarly sugary, with a smoky finish, and went well with shoved mouthfuls of the salty potato wedges.

The Medium sauce tasted typically of wing sauce, vinegary, punctuated by Tabasco-y hotness. The Parmesan Garlic was tame, well-mannered, and looked weirdly white under the sauce -- my favorite since it actually tasted Italian...sort of. I ate it giddily, greedily, and guiltily, often forgetting the fact that what I was enjoying was a glorified McNugget.

Buffalo Wild Wings
(949) 588-9464
23600 Rockfield Blvd.
Lake Forest, CA 92630


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
AnQi - Costa Mesa

12 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Juliet said...

Wow! You are actually a place that I have been to! Since it is a chain, of course. ;-)

I liked Buffalo Wild Wings okay. I got the boneless wings once, and they were good. We rarely go there, though. The TV screens blaring sports kind of take away from my enjoyment of the food. Perhaps Xander would like that now, though. He is quite the football fan.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger NP said...

Went there 2 weeks ago... Liked the place a lot. Real shame that before this showed up the only time we EVER did wings was when outside California...

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

I'd think I'd want rice with both the Asian Zing and the Honey BBQ sauce. They'd taste perfect with rice!

BTW, happy holidays Elmo, and I mentioned you on my 1st anniversary post.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Juliet,

Thankfully, we were there at around lunchtime on Christmas Eve, so it was relatively dead. I'd imagine if we came around Happy Hour, the place would be a bit too overwhelming if one weren't expecting a bunch of rowdy guys chugging beer with hot wing sauce-soaked fingers.

Though it is a chain, I liked it too! But next time I'll be trying real wings!

NP,

I've actually tried the original Buffalo wings at Anchor Bar in Buffalo. Seems like every place else that does it these days have something more to offer

EatTravelEat,

They sure do! And Happy New Year to you too! Thank you for the mention on your post. Here's to another great year of blogging!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger mark said...

Did anyone do the food challenge when you were there?!

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not to fond of there over the top battered boneless chicken bits other than that the bone in wings and their varieties of sauce ain't too bad.

-bill

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

FAT PANDA,

It's possible, but it was too early in the day! I think most people there at the time still had to go back to the office, stifling the possibility of a Man V. Food stunt!

Anon,

Yeah. The sauce selection is pretty dizzying.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Just Cid said...

I hope that the Buffalo Wild Wings in Lake Forest was better than the one in Buena Park.

We waited nearly 5 minutes at the door before someone actually approached us to tell us that she couldn't seat us, but the hostess would be right back.

Once at our table, we waited another 10+ minutes before the manager appeared, apologizing and taking our drink orders.

As to the wings, they were just ok.

The "Buffalo Chips" were rather limp fried potato discs that were covered in an industrial cheese sauce that made me remember the nachos from Anaheim Stadium.

I think I prefer Wingnuts to BWW. I will not be back.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger D~tan said...

I'm surprised I've never commented on here, but I'm a long-time viewer of your blog! Anyways...

I prefer Wingstop down the street from BWW, across from the Arboretum apartments. Wingstop is cheaper and more low-key, if you want to get away from the flashiness of BWW.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

cid404,

You had me rolling with "industrial cheese". HAH! I'll have to remember that!

D-Tan,

Thanks for delurking! I had no idea there was a Wingstop in that area. I guess that's why it's low key! And cheaper is always nice.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Exile Kiss said...

Hi elmomonster,

Thanks for the review of this place. How does this place compare with your favorite Wing place? (And what is your favorite Wing place? :) Thanks.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Exile Kiss,

Though I'm not a wing connoisseur by any stretch, I'd have to say my favorite wing place is Original Buffalo Wings at Diamond Jamboree. It's not the wings but more the casual fast-food surroundings I like. Also, I like that it's about the non-Asian thing to exist there at that plaza.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home