Monday, April 19, 2010

Frostbites Crepes & Frozen Delights - Cypress

Somewhere between an ICEE and a sorbet lies Italian ice. Not as slushy as the former, not as firm as the latter, it's its own kind of confection. It is able to stick to an inverted spoon, but melts in a hurry in the mouth.

And then there's the fruit. Actual pieces of it are whirred up into the slurry. There's enough per spoonful that you'll chew the coconut shreds, get the strawberry seeds stuck in between your teeth, and detect the distinct meatiness of mango. And that's not all. Italian ices are typically eaten with ice cream, usually vanilla. The resulting concoction is a happy mix of dairy and fruit...sort of like a deconstructed Creamsicle.

Frostbites in Cypress calls the mash-up "sorbet cream". Have the Italian ice plain, and they dub it "sorbet chill". Either way: brain freeze, and a frozen dessert that doesn't involve the word "yogurt".

It's not the only Italian ice joint in O.C., but it is the first outpost of this particular brand, which started in Riverside a few years ago. And I welcome it. Now that we're seeing the Great Frogurt Melt, I'll go out on a limb and say that this just might be the next big thing. Gentle dessert entrepreneurs, start your freezers.

Frostbites Crepes & Frozen Delights
(714) 484-1577
9111 Valley View St. Ste 103
Cypress, CA 90630

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Trieu Chau vs. New Trieu Chau

15 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger digkv said...

nice explanation of italian ice edwin! it's really hard to explain what it is unless you've really had it but i think you've captured what it's all about. How does Frostbite compare to Joe's in Anaheim? You totally introduced me to Joe's (mmmm Joelatti) and thanks for that!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

digkv,

I like this one slightly better than Joe's. Maybe because it's new, or perhaps the small size is just the right amount for me, or is it because you don't have to stand outside or in the car to eat it? I think it may be all of the above!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger briannie said...

This looks like a normal-sized portion of a Joelatti. I *love* me some Joelattis, but can never finish one... it's just too big!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

So colorful! So pretty! I want one! But it's going to rain tomorrow! I just had a layered creamsicle at Aureole two weeks ago. Layers of orange sorbet and ultra rich vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Frogurt Melt! Nice term. I've never had the hyped frozen yogurt since last year already. I just go to Souplantation for froyo and think of it as soft serve ice cream.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

brianne,

These are not too big, not too small, not to pricey, just right! If I recall correctly, the small pictured was about $2.59 or so.

EatTravelEat,

Wow! Layered creamsicle! Can't wait to see how that looks and read about what it tasted like. And Aureole NY or LV?

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Ben Dayhoe said...

Love. This. Place.
The employees are so nice–handing out sample after sample until you find your favorite flavor.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

Aureole LV :). They described it as an "orangesicle terrine" and on the side were orange segments which were so sweet!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Ben,

Yes, they're totally there to get you hooked. First taste, second taste, however many it takes!

ETE,

You live the life of luxury, my friend! I just feasted my eyes on your Bellagio weekend! Can't wait to see what else!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

Elmomonster,
Luxury that was great value! AKA free trip :). There isn't anything else really special since I was sick- pretty much just Noodles at Bellagio and Capital Seafood/Pho Vietnam and the Bellagio Buffet. Aureole was the highlight made better with a free 50 dollar certificate (restaurant.com)!

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their sorbet creams are incredibly delicious, and I love the fact it's rich enough but doesn't feel too heavy once I'm done.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

EatTravelEat,

FREE?! I was impressed before. Now I'm jealous *AND* impressed.

Anonymous,

Yes! The proof is that I was able to eat one by myself although I was stuffed to the gills in Cafe Hiro food...which is conveniently located a few blocks away, I might add.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger joanh said...

yum, that looks so good! looks like the bright colors of hawaiian ice but not as artificial!

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous lalaine said...

Ohh, my daughter is addicted to this! I love how we get to sample first as it is really hard to choose with all that array of colors!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

joanh,

YES! It's exactly like that!

lalaine,

If only other places did samples. Like bakeries! HAHA!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how many weight watchers point plus is one serving? just wondering if you know :)
looks delish but i'm trying to be wise in using my points plus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home