Tuesday, June 01, 2010

SamSoonYi Bakery - Tustin

I needed bread. Some simple, cheap, factory-baked wheat sandwich slices would do. I was inside Freshia, my local Korean grocer, one afternoon when I realized I did. But after weaving through aisle after aisle and coming up empty, I asked the stock guy, a Latino man who was unloading a box of ramyun, "Where do you keep your Wonder Bread?"

"Oh, we don't stock bread here. But you should try the bakery up front. They have excellent bread!"

So I did. And boy, was he right. SamSoonYi, which rents out the space in the market, bakes a moist, flavorful sandwich loaf that we loved so much, we've bought nothing else since. Sara Lee, Wonder, Roman Meal, you can all kiss off. This bread, this simple half loaf, costing $2.75, has become my pantry standard.

Like I said, it's ultra-moist. So moist, in fact, that if you stand it on its side, the slices fall under the dampness of its own weight. Touch the surface and you can feel the moisture. And the flavor? It's unlike factory brands in that it has it. The taste is bright, salty, evocative of something homemade.

It makes great breakfast toast. To tell you the truth, I haven't tried using it for a sandwich, since I like it plain with a pat of butter. I had it the other day with Spam and eggs.

I would imagine other local bakeries, 85 Degrees C, for instance, would have a similar product. If you're reading this and you're not within three miles of the Freshia in Tustin, I wouldn't go out of the way to get it. Find your own local Korean or Asian bakery.

Besides that, SamSoonYi seems to only bake a half dozen or so at a time. Last Sunday, I got the last of two loaves. So I'm saying this last part more as selfish plea than anything: if you do end up here and find they've only got two left, leave me the last one, will ya?

SamSoonYi Bakery (Inside Freshia Market)
(714)7340-8656
14551 Red Hill Ave.
Tustin, CA 92780

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Harry's Deli - Irvine

10 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

*Scratched head*

I have to ask... have you tried the half loaves at Cream Pan? I'm sure the SamSoonYi bread is wonderful, but yeah, um, just checkin. :)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Melissa,

Well I'll be. I shoulda known Cream Pan would have their own. Every time I go there, I'm laser focused on the strawberry croissants and the black-n-white that I usually ignore the other goodies. That changes now. I'll have to back once my current half loaf stash is depleted!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

*Scratches not scratched. Geeshk.

You really should E. I always joke with people that they make their bread with fairy dust. I know Joan likes their Yama (?) loaf too. Usually when I go to CP I'm laser focused on the white half loaf and the ciabatta, which is A-MAZING. They're usually out though so I have to settle for an Epi.

Didn't mean to detract from SamSoonYi though! I really have no doubt their bread is also great. :)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

Exactly why I still buy bread from my local Asian bakery even if I have a Fresh and Easy a half mile away from me or a breadmaker at home! It's just so good and so proven. My own bread, not so much. And Fresh and Easy has really small pieces of bread in comparison to the Asian places.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

EatTravelEat,

I'm a convert too. I'll need to do a bread crawl of local Asian bakeries. I know JJ Bakery in Irvine does their own loaf too. And Diho Bakery. And now Cream Pan and 85 Degrees C, of course.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous kelly von hemert said...

I've got to try the plain bread after this post! It looked so...processed. Kinda like Bimbo brand. I do love their rusks and coffee cake made with red and green bean paste. And those little banana-shaped cakes with no banana in them-LOL!

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous eaterdeltustin said...

Haven't tried SamSoonYi, but Cream Pan bread is really really good.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Kelly,

I saw those banana cakes! Almost, almost got one, but resisted. The loaf does, indeed, look like the typical factory-processed stuff; but I like it. I really need to try Cream Pan's now though.

eater,

Yeah, I have no idea how I missed it. Must be the other tempting goodies. It took me a while to notice their onigiri, and man, was I glad I finally did!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kim said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hi, Edwin!

A few months back, you were tagged in our chocri Blog Race and won a bar. (This isn't a spam comment, I swear!) Your blog was one of the few without a Twitter account or contact link, would you like your bar? If you'd like to claim it, send me over an email- it's kim -at- chocri.com. And like I said, I'm totally not a robot!

@theeatenpath tagged you with:
+ Dark Chocolate
+ Ground Chili
+ Anise
+ Black Sesame

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home