Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cafe Hiro's Osso Bucco Pasta - Cypress


I have this habit of taking food pictures wherever and whenever I go out to eat. It's a compulsion. I have a camera in my pocket at all times. No, not the one on my phone: An actual camera dedicated to taking pictures and only pictures. I carry it because sometimes, even at restaurants that I can safely call myself a regular, such as Cafe Hiro in Cypress, there's always going to be something new I want to document. Why? Well for posts like this.

The camera had to come out to snap a pic of the dish you see above. It was on the specials board that night, and simply put, it's kismet, a dish that Hiro Ohiwa should've been making all along. It takes two of the menu's strongest dishes and combines it into one. This is his osso bucco pasta.

In the bowl, the pasta bites as the definition of al dente, lubed in a creamy (but not laden with butter or cream) sauce that doesn't overpower but complements the hunk of braised meat. The beef falls apart with a nudge and together with the noodles, the dish becomes a sort of hyper-realized, almost-Stroganoff.

The effect is as serendipitous as when peanut butter met jelly for the first time. When milk met cookies. You know what I mean? Well, you can see by the picture. That's why I took it.

Cafe Hiro
10509 Valley View Street
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 527-6090

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Barth's Continental Cuisine - San Juan Capistrano

10 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

I can definitely agree with why you bring your camera wherever you go to eat! I tend to do that too!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

EatTravelEat,

It almost feels wrong if I don't take a picture. There should probably be a disorder named for this!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

since both of these items appear separately on the menu, are they going to make this a regular item or am I just going to have to "chance it" if/when I go by hoping that it will appear on the specials board? Or possibly ordering it off menu?

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

I'm hoping that Chef Ohiwa sees this post and considers putting in on their menu board permanently, like their steak!

For now, I'd call ahead.

But then, I've never tried ordering anything off menu. It might work!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

I've got the same problem. At least you do something with some of those pictures. I just stash them away since I stopped blogging. Got gigabytes of them sitting on a drive...

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Chubbypanda,

Ah, to think of all those Chubbypanda insights and finds OC is missing out on! I've said it before, but I'll say it again: OC wants Chubbypanda writing again!

But I certainly understand about how difficult it is keeping a food blog alive these days. My compulsion to take pictures does not always translate to a compulsion to write...

By the way, I was chatting with Dee Nguyen of Break of Dawn a few weeks ago and he credits you for getting the word out about his place!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

elmomonster,

Maybe it's just a tendency for photographers to do so because besides food, there might be other things out there worth photographing that we don't want to miss!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

EatTravelEat,

Couldn't have said it better myself!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I miss Cafe Hiro, especially the desert.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Bill,

I'd miss Cafe Hiro, too. For everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home