Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mamon from Red Ribbon - Anaheim


I've been eating Red Ribbon's mamon for quite a while now. But it wasn't until recently, before a busy morning, that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed one. I realized then how very good they are. Isn't it amazing how life and food taste so much better when you take the time to savor?

I took my first bite with sip of tea, and in that moment, I was sent into a Zen-state of mind. The eggy richness bloomed in my mouth, the cake's texture is fluffy beyond what's imaginable, so airy it almost wants to float. A swipe of sticky sweet butter and a smattering of grated cheese on top seemed the only thing weighing it down, keeping it from lifting away like a helium balloon.


Despite being packaged like a Twinkie, the pastry cake cuffed inside what seems like a coffee filter is the picture of wholesomeness. It list egg whites, sugar and other pronounceable things as ingredients. The expiration date was about two days from when I bought it. After the first one I ate, the rest didn't last nearly as long.

Red Ribbon Bake Shop
601 N Euclid St
Anaheim, CA 92801
(714) 635-0256


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Gen Korean BBQ - Tustin

8 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous JB said...

Are these packages sold individually, or in multi-packs?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Both! They sell 'em in packs of five or just individually for $1.25. Right now, if you buy the five-pack for $6.25, you get one extra one for free.

They also have ube and mocha flavors, but I like the plain!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Edwin, since you like plain, you should try the taisan, they're like the mamon but in the shape of a rectangle. I like the mamon and ensaymada heated in the micro for a few seconds, just enough for the butter and sugar to melt, open pkg on seam side then swipe pieces of the mamon or ensaymada on the melted buttery topping that sticks to the pkg. If you don't like the mix of plain, mocha or ube that they pre-package in the bags you pick your own combo and they will package for you.

Btw I did see Valero's when we were in Anaheim Saturday night. Is the gal from Cerritos working there now? Chow King was busier than RR.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Mrs M said...

I actually found this blog several years ago when my husband's bookkeeper gave us a box for Christmas of ensaymadas from Red Ribbon, and we did not know what they were. The little treats were very good, but I am most grateful to have discovered "Monster Munching"!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

C,

I'm not sure if the Valerio's in Anaheim has anybody from the Cerritos branch. I'm actually not sure if they're more than just loosely related.

Mrs. M,

Thanks for the kind words! I think a discovery of these cakes is at least tenfold better than finding out about this humble blog. Nothing here can nourish you or make you happy!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I'm working with Rock'n Fish in Laguna Beach and wanted to know if you'd be interested in reviewing the restaurant soon. If you'd like to set something up, please contact me at aibarra@willscom.com

Thanks!
Angela

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Angela,

Thanks for the offer. But as my readers might tell you, I do not accept invitations to review restaurants. When I do visit an establishment, I do so unannounced and anonymously, paying my own way.

With that said, good luck!

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Ron said...

This Red Ribbon recently opened here in Anaheim, next to Jollibee (a Filipino fast food restaurant) I love the Mamons and I wish they have smaller portions of the Crema de Fruta.

elmomonster, you have been doing a great job blogging great treats around Orange County. Will recommend you for those that are looking for places to eat when they're tired of the usual.

Ron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home