Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Momofuku Noodle Bar - Manhattan, New York

Have you had an experience that made you say, “Oh my God. This is everything I thought it would be?” There are few things that can, especially when that thing has been hyped to excess like Momofuku’s pork buns have been.

But not only did it meet my heightened expectations, it blew my mind and overwhelmed my mouth and brain with sweet, sultry piggy bliss. It also confirmed David Chang’s badass-ness and became the one thing that I will remember from this, my third New York trip.


A week before, I said to my officemates that I was going to the Big Apple for my birthday to eat something expensive and fatty. At $5 a pop and the fact that I was essentially eating hog blubber, Momofuku’s pork buns certainly met both criteria.

It didn’t melt. No, that would be too easy. The pork belly is cooked in such a way that it retains a texture close to a falling apart brisket, soft and moist, but also still holding onto its meaty integrity.


Meanwhile, the fat has turned into something close to jelly—firm, warm, insanely good jelly that kind of fills your senses with the savoriness of pork fat and that gets wiped clean by the pillowy fluff of the bread, the crunchy-cool pickled cucumbers. It was…un-friggin-believable.

The bowl of ramen I had as a main course afterward didn’t have any hope of competing. This piggy foreplay was way better than the noodle intercourse.

Momofuku Noodle Bar
171 1st Ave
(between 10th St & 11th St)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 777-7773
momofuku.com

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Pier 76 Fish Grill - Long Beach

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Momofuku's baos are alright but a more authenticc one is eddie huang's baohaus on 14th. but even then the best part about huang's bao is is the bao (or rather mantou).

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Dang it! I forgot about Eddie Huang's joint...but we were so pressed for time as it is! Next time, Eddie. Next time!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger caninecologne said...

Man, pig fat jelly sounds good to me! Time for another visit to NYC. Haven't been since 2008.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

canine,

If someone on our coast can do it as well as he can, I wouldn't have to go to NYC again!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

there are definitely places in town (southern california) that have baos. but damned if i can remember any right now. will update if i remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home