Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Champurrado at Cancun Juice - Santa Ana

It’s been so long that I’ve had champurrado, I’d forgotten how good it is, especially when the weather is as cold and wet as it has been.

So what is a champurrado, you ask? If you looked it up on Wikipedia, it’s a “traditional corn- or masa-based beverage of Mesoamerican origin”.

Not to be reductive, but to me, champurrado is what happens when a mug of hot cocoa gets it on with a warm bowl of oatmeal.


It’s a meal that you drink (or is it a drink that’s also a meal?) and it's the only thing you need in the morning.

Cancun Juice’s rendition is pretty wonderful--the real breakfast of champions, which actually has the word "champ" already in it.

Cancun Juice
2302 S Bristol St.
Santa Ana, CA 92704

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Mighty Kitchen - Los Alamitos

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've never heard of Champurrado so this was educational. The appeal of coffee/chocolate-with-heft for me is rather limited but for those rare moments when I'm looking for something just like this, it's good to know that it exists already and where to go to find it!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks for the comment! I hope you enjoy it if you ever get to try it.

Now that the weather's turning rainy again, I kinda want another one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home