Tuesday, August 15, 2017

$5.25 Boba Milk Tea vs. $1.50 Boba Milk Tea


The milk tea you see to the left is from Gong Cha, the newest and shiniest boba shop to open in Irvine. When I ordered it, the cashier asked what sweetness level I wanted (either "no sugar", 30%, 50%, 70%, or 100%) and what level of ice I preferred (either "no ice", 25%, 50%, or 100%).

After that came the toppings. I chose boba (which they called "pearls") and pudding (which was still called "pudding"). Each topping cost an additional 50 cents. Two people and at least one cocktail shaker were involved in its preparation.

When I was presented with the final product, the person told me that I should let them know if anything needed to be adjusted.

Since I opted for the large, and it was the "Brown Sugar Fresh Milk Tea" from their more premium "Fresh Milk Series" list, the total cost for the drink was $5.25.

I still am unsure of the difference between this "Brown Sugar Fresh Milk Tea" and the regular "Pearl Milk Tea", which can be found under the regular "Milk Tea Series" list. But if I had opted for that one in the medium-sized cup, it would've been $3.75.

I point this out because the milk tea you see to the right is from Banh Mi Che Cali. It cost me $1.50 (Banh Mi Che Cali offers two milk teas for $3, toppings included).

It came out of a circulating beverage dispenser. And it tasted no different than the one on the left.

Gong Cha
14130 Culver Dr. Ste H-2
Irvine, CA 92604
(949) 656-8276

Banh Mi & Che Cali
15551 Brookhurst St
Westminster, CA 92683
(714) 839-8185

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Lido Bottle Works - Newport Beach

2 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

The "fresh milk" thing is another update from ye olde motherland of taiwan. traditionally, tapioca milk tea is made with milk powder and so of course, a few years ago, what with yet another food scare, lots of tea stands in taiwan started offering the fresh milk option as an alternative. and the sweetness and ice level is also something that is tremendously popular in taiwan as well.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Ah! Okay! I forgot about the milk powder food scare. It all makes a lot of sense now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home