Saturday, June 09, 2018

My Thoughts on Anthony Bourdain


I thought he was invincible--not a man, but a god out of Mount Olympus.

I idolized him. I have his books. I have VHS tapes of all the A Cook's Tour episodes that I recorded when it first aired. In my blog, I've mentioned him more times than I have any other person.

When I go abroad or visit a new city, I try to go where he has gone, eat what he has eaten. When I'm writing and I'm lacking inspiration, I would read something he wrote, hoping just a little of his talent could rub off on me.

But no one could touch Bourdain. The way he crafted a sentence, described a dish, an experience, was unique unto him.

Unlike some of my food writing peers, I never met the man, but I don't think I needed to. His body of work has always lived in my head and will continue to influence and inspire me for as long as I live. He is Elvis Presley. He is Shakespeare. But what I've learned in the past day is that he is also human.

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Hook & Anchor - Newport Beach

2 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger dumplings said...

Thank you for this post!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Oblio said...

Well said... I too have been struggling with his death and am writing an essay for my blog to try and figure it all out. I admired him greatly, have followed his career ever since his first cable program and now have to live in a world without Anthony Bourdain.

So it goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home