Monday, October 14, 2019

Taffelbay Bakery - Copenhagen, Denmark


You know those people who tell you that you haven’t had sushi until you’ve had it Japan? Or croissants in France? Or xiao long bao at the original Din Tai Fung in Taiwan? I hate those people.

But for right now, I’m going to be the thing I hate. I’m here to say that you’ve probably never had a danish until you’ve had it in Denmark.

It’s true!

I didn’t plan to make this proclamation or was even looking to eat one until we passed a pastry shop called Taffelbay on our way somewhere else. On a whim, we stopped in and realized how amazing a real Danish danish (weird as it sounds) was.

The pastries I had were laminated like a croissant, but was so light it seemed leavened by helium. It was buttery, but didn’t leave a trace of its greasiness on the palate. Behind the dough, the flavors of each individual pastry popped without an overreliance on sugar. It made every leadened, hypersweet danish I had in the States not worthy of the name.

So, yes, hate me for saying all this; but I beg you, prove me wrong.

Taffelbay Bakery
Nørre Voldgade 92
1358 København
Denmark

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Heartful Made - Fullerton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home