Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Thai Nakorn Feast - Garden Grove

Ah, the splendors of a Thai Nakorn feast. In my humble opinion, the restaurant remains the best Thai in our county with flavors bold and arresting--the kind that stays with you, etched in your memory for days.

I was treated to such a feast recently. To celebrate five years of food reviewing for OC Weekly, we went back to the restaurant I reviewed first: this restaurant. Ordered was way too much food; seven dishes in all for four mouths when three entrees would've been sufficient. But there's no such thing as too much when it comes to this food. Everything is good and a majority of it is great. Close your eyes, put your finger anywhere on the menu, and where it lands is a guaranteed winner.

We got all of our favorites. Staples of tom kha gai slurps with the thickness of coconut milk and the invigorating tang of lime juice. The mee krob is laced with orange zest to tickle your nostrils. A stir try of water grass, the spinach-like vegetable we Indos call kang kung, harbored chilies and roughly chopped garlic. Satays were smoky; the pad see ew silky; and the larb piercing of raw ginger. And the chicken curry reiterates how food can actually make you feel good. Paired with rice, it's a natural antidepressant.

We managed to make a significant dent on our order but had so much left over we reconvened the next evening to finish the rest. Ah, the splendors of Thai Nakorn leftovers!

Thai Nakorn
(714) 583-8938
12532 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove, CA 92843-1907


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
South County Pho

9 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous M said...

We love this place too!

However, the only thing we are not happy lately is... that they don't have their delicious BBQ whole catfish on the menu anymore.
They said they don't do it anymore.
We used to love love love that BBQ fish, and we miss it! :(

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

M,

That's one dish I have not tried. But they do have pomfret and that catfish tail!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Good to hear they are still good. Several folks told me that they had gone downhill over the last two years!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Kirk,

You know, I've been hearing that too. It's not true. At least not at the Garden Grove location. Everything we had is still tip top!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

The Stanton location has whole BBQ catfish. Had this about 3 weeks ago with a party of 17. Catfish was awesome. The service has gone down a little bit with the newer waitstaff but the food still rocks.

I have a tendency to use Thai Nakorn as the standard when comparing other Thai places. That's why I always ask elmomonster how does it compare to Thai Nakorn whenever he reviews a Thai restaurant.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Stanielsan said...

I know they do the whole BBQ catfish at the Stanton location. Had this about 3 weeks ago. Service kind of slipped down a bit but the food still rocks! I have a tendency to judge other Thai places to this place. I always ask elmomonster how does it compare to Thai Nakorn whenever he reviews a Thai restaurant.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I happened to wander over here for the first time and quite a while and imagine the smile on my face when I scrolled down and saw this entry, posted on my birthday, no less. I'll tell ya, Edwin, I miss Thai Nakorn more than almost anything else about living in California. That's the truth.

Hope you're well. :)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Stanielsan,

I also use the Thai Nakorn litmus test on other Thai restaurants!

Melissa,

How are you!? Yeah it has been a while hasn't it? So you're in Texas now? I know you told me you were moving there some time ago but had no idea you had gone! And happy belated birthday! I ate that feast in your stead! Hope you are well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home