Monday, March 19, 2012

Thrifty's Ice Cream - Irvine


Those who remember that Thrifty's ice cream used to cost 15-cents will also remember that the whole store used to be called Thrifty's, not Rite-Aid . And with that sentence, I've officially dated myself as a child of the 80s. 

My memories of these cones were fond ones. It was a treat that, even as a kid, I recognized as an incredible value. I'm pretty sure I must have used Thrifty ice cream cones as a price index for other things a young person of that age deemed necessary for survival--a Transformers Megatron action figure with silencer, stock, telescopic sight/fusion cannon, for instance, cost a small fortune in scoops of vanilla.

When I have one now, it's always sweetly nostalgic, even if its current price ($1.69) now represents more than 1000% increase from then. 

I'm not complaining. It's a fact that Thrifty's...sorry, I meant, Rite-Aid, still charges a fraction of what other ice cream parlors levy these days. And they've kept everything else the same, which is much more important.

Flavors like Chocolate Malted Crunch, the pina-colada-ish Coconut-Pineapple, and the Technicolor orgy of the Rainbow Sherbet are still around. And then there are those cylindrical scoops that push out the ice cream into that distinctive pencil-eraser, flat-top shape with an audible "kachunk".

Those who've had one with me these days can attest that the sound is as reliable as hearing me wax nostalgic about how the cones used to cost just 15-cents.

Rite Aid
18112 Culver Dr.
Irvine, CA 92612
(949) 786-0151


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
The Riders Club - San Clemente

11 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Darlene said...

Fantastic memory! Those 15 cent cones were a special treat and right within my childhood budget. My favorite flavor was Medieval Madness.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Rocena said...

and a Double was only a quarter...those were the days

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

I remember having one of these not too long ago! The shape of the scoop is something very memorable about this place.

It's interesting how these sell better compared to the Thrifty's ice cream tubs available in the freezer section.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger "Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel said...

Chocolate Malted Krunch FTW! God, I still remember going to the Thrifty's up the road on Brookhurst and Orangethorpe and getting a Triple. It's shut down now, but there's another one across from the Buena Park Mall. Hmm...

Does anyone remember when there was a Long's Drugs at the BPM?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger caninecologne said...

I remember when a quarter could get you a double scoop! yes, way back in the days of 'yore!

OMG, I want Chocolate Malted Crunch now!

i liked the shape of their scoops, making it easy to stack three flavors!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Darlene,

I wanted to try the Medieval Madness last time I went (which I must admit, came after this post went public), but they were out!

Rocena,

Fodder for an All In The Family Archie Bunker song, I tells ya!

EatTravelEat,

It's because of that scoop!!!

Joe,

I hear ya! Chocolate Malted Crunch has to be their best flavor...hands down. And hey, I remember that Thrifty's. Kim Loan is in the same parking lot!

caninecologne,

Easier to stack?! You just blew my mind. It never even occurred to me!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger vanilla cupcake said...

i am obsessed with thrifty ice cream! good stuff. butter pecan is the best.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Molly said...

I loved walking to Thrifty's with my friends to get an ice cream.

I honestly didn't remember the price, but I new it was just cheap enough to where my Mom almost never said no. :)

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous carpet cleaning said...

Still love to take my family there after a hard day at work at my company Carpet Cleaning Orange County for a good old cone of chocolate malted crunch!

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Thrifty Ice Cream and am also impressed by the brand loyalty it still has from both childhood nostalgic customers and new younger customers.

I can still lookup some local rite-aids that have Thrifty Ice cream shops and a also aware there are a couple of franchisees down in Mexico.

I actually started following them:
facebook.com/thriftyicecream
twitter.com/icecreamthrifty

P.S. i love Mint n Chip, DELICIOUS!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger mark said...

Yum! Follow thrifty's blog at http://thriftyicecream.wordpress.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home