Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pie Hole - Orange



How good does a slice of pie have to be for it to be worth $7? The slice of Mexican Chocolate pie I tasted at Pie Hole was sublime--very chocolatey, satin-smooth, and with a hint of spice (was that cinnamon and cloves?) at the back-end. But was it worthy of its $6.50 sticker price?

The Maple Custard slice was excellent, too--one of the better custard pies I've ever had. And I could actually taste the maple. But would I come back to pay the $7.25 to do it again?

All told, with the money I spent, I could've gotten a whole pie at Marie Callender's (which does a very good custard pie, in my opinion), or an entire meal elsewhere. And then there was where this outlet of the hip LA chain was located, in Old Towne Orange, where I imagine 50 years ago, you could get a slice of pie and coffee at Watson's Drug Store for less than a dollar.

I suppose it's pointless to revel in the past or to lament inflation. But was it good enough to be worth that much? Right now, I'm not so sure it is. But ask me again in 20 years or when I've won the lottery--whichever comes first.

Pie Hole
177 N Glassell St.
Orange, CA 92866
(657) 236-4100

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Anchor Hitch - Mission Viejo

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger OC Paul said...

I've been to the Pie Hole in LA a couple of times. Like you said, it's excellent pie but the novelty of paying $7 for a slice wore off very quickly! By the way, I've made Early Grey Pie using a copycat recipe and it was also stellar! Can make a whole pie for about $5 of ingredients!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

OC Paul,

Well now I have go back and shell out the $7.25 to try a slice of that Earl Grey pie! To heck with the lottery! By the way, thanks for the tip that the recipe is out there. I just found it (in YouTube form, no less)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home