Sunday, October 13, 2013

Monster Munching Turns 10-Years-Old!

Has Monster Munching really been around (and active) for ten years? Well, technically, it's younger than that. But for the sake of this post, let's just say I have been at this for exactly a decade. And I have, because what's recorded as my first Monster Munching post, dated October 13, 2003 was actually, if I'm not mistaken, the first piece of food writing I ever did.

I wrote it on Chowhound.com and simply archived it here when I started the blog. But to me, that post represents a bigger milestone--it was the first time I put fingers to keyboard and thus began this crazy journey that has led to great food, great friends and a great gig at a well-respected publication doing what I love.

And if you read that first post on Honda-Ya, you'll see what I initially intended this blog to be back then: just a personal diary to remind myself of the places I liked. I never imagined that anyone else would actually be reading.

So to all of you who have been reading and stuck with me through all these years: Thank you!

As a special treat for the occasion, I went out, bought $10 worth of gift certificates at my favorite ice cream parlor, and will give it out to the first person to correctly answer all five of the Monster Munching trivia questions below (THAT I'VE UPDATED WITH MORE HINTS!)

1. What weekly periodical do I write reviews and blog posts for?

2. What poetic Monster Munching post became my first review for said periodical?

3. What is the name of the dish that serves as my Monster Munching avatar (the picture on my Blogger user profile)?

4. What was the actual first post that started this blog (Hint #1: I ate noodles; Hint #2: The post is dated April 20th)?

5. What violent online games inspired my nom-de-plume (three possible answers are acceptable here)?

Send an e-mail to elmomonster75@yahoo.com with your answers and I will announce the winner (and the answers) in another post soon!

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Seasons of Japan - Irvine

UPDATE! (10/22/2013) We have a WINNER!! Congrats to H. Indra for answering all the trivia questions correctly and winning the Strickland's gift certificates! The answers are as follows!

Answers:

1. OC Weekly
2. Sushi Shibucho
3. Saltado
4. Hakata Ramen - Shinsengumi - Fountain Valley
5. Doom, Quake or Descent

16 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

speaking of ice cream places, have you ever been to fosselman's in alhambra? great, great place.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous JB said...

Thank you for everything you've done for me over the past 10 years. My relocation to OC would never have been as smooth as it was without the influence of Monster Munching. In a world where things always change -- many times, not for the better -- I'm grateful that this blog is as reliably informative and entertaining as ever before.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Wow a whole decade! That's awesome. Major congrats....... Just think how techonology and this world called the internet has chsnged in that time. Best wishes for another decade of wonderful posts.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Congrats, Elmo! I can count on one hand the number of food bloggers who are still blogging from the days when I was active. Your blog, and Kirk's, remain the best of the best.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

I love Fosselman's! I went when I was a wee lad, before anyone knew anything about the Internet, and when the word blog was likely a misspelling of the word flog. I need to go back! Another ice cream I love: Dr. Bob's.

The gift certificate is, of course, for Strickland's in Irvine.

JB,

And thank you for not just being such a great advocate for me and the blog, but for also all the great tips and scoops you've given me over the years! I hope I can live up to it!

Kirk,

Thank you Kirk! You can't begin to imagine how much I've learned from mmm-yoso!!! You are one of originals and have been an inspiration to me!

Chubbypanda,

Thank you for the very kind words! But your blog was the best of the best! Chubbypanda.com ruled and as I said before, I miss it! I'm just glad that I can still follow you and Cat's exploits on Facebook! You guys are truly one of the coolest people I know!!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger ChristianZ said...

Happy birthday!

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous whowantscandy said...

Congrats on your decade of food writing, elmomonster!

It was your blog that started me on my food journey to make my younger years in the Orange Curtain more palatable :) For that, I thank ye!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Christian,

Thanks my friend! Long time no see! I also must recognize you as not only one of the first OC bloggers, but also the one that took me out of my shell and invited me to meet other bloggers in person! For that, I thank you!

whowantscandy,

Thank you for your kind words! :-) That "younger years" part makes me feel old, but I'm realizing now that ten years is a long time! Enough time for 15-year-old to go to college, get married, and have a kid! Or two!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger caninecologne said...

Congrats on 10 years of foodwriting!!!!

Your blog is one of my favorites and one that I look to for recommendations whenever my family goes up to the OC.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous amourra said...

Congrats on 10 years of Monster Munching and Thank you for introducing me to a lot of great places in and around OC. Amourra

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

caninecologne,

Thank you for continuing to read me and continuing to comment to know that you're reading! I hope I can put more useable content for you to use!

amourra,

Thank you for the comment and you're welcome!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger dumplings said...

Congrats, Elmo!!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger dumplings said...

Congrats, Elmo!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks, dumplings!

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belate Congrats!

nhb

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks, nhb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home