Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Jun's Omakase at Sushi Noguchi - Yorba Linda


If you are still unacquainted with the wonderful, mind-bogglingly great restaurant called Sushi Noguchi in Yorba Linda, let me point you to the first few stories I've written on it over the past year:

- Sushi Noguchi - Yorba Linda
- The Best Sushi in Orange County
- 10 Essential Sushi Joints to Say "Omakase"

Okay, are you back?

Good.

Convinced that this may be the best sushi restaurant in Orange County yet still can't see yourself spending the $100 per person for Hiro's omakase? OK. Then keep reading, because there is an answer.

It is called "Jun's Omakase".

Jun, you see, is Jun Noguchi, wife of Hiro, and the lovely proprietress who handles the front of the house. If you sit at the table, you'll likely be served by her.

Her eponymous omakase set is priced at $50 per person and though it doesn't include some of the more expensive cuts of fish you'll find in Hiro's top-of-the-line omakase, it satisfies just the same.

I recently tried it and here's what was included in our meal:



A salad of dressed greens in a martini glass with chunks of raw and briefly-seared fish, sprinkled with crispy fried shallots.




A large plate with a lightly tempura'd fish resting on shiso, a bowl of chilled soba to slurp, and Japanese pickles.




Sliced hamachi topped with sliced fresh jalapeno in a pool of ponzu.



Seared tuna steaks floating atop puddles of sesame oil and ponzu.



An assortment of nigiri from the sushi bar, each one with a distinct topping, such as yuzu-kosho.




Gobs of fresh chopped spicy tuna wrapped as a hand-roll in crispy nori.

It's the right price for just the right amount of food and decadence.

If you still consider it expensive, think of this: in OC, there's now a sushi restaurant that charges $170 per person for their lowest level of omakase and $250 per person for a kaiseki meal.

At those rates, $50 seems like nothing.

Sushi Noguchi
18507 Yorba Linda Blvd.
Yorba Linda, CA 92886
(714) 777-6789
http://www.sushinoguchi.com

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
PRIME by Shenandoah - Long Beach

6 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kristine said...

Hi Edwin! I've been following your blog now for a while depite the fact I live in New Zealand and have no access to any of the places you write about. Well, that's about to change because I'll be in California next month and will have to chance to actually go to some of these restaurants. I'll be in the Chino area, so Sushi Noguchi will be on my list, but apart from that can you recommend restaurants sorta near Chino? (I'm Filipino btw so Jolibee is on my list. I miss Chicken Joy so much).

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Hi Kristine!

First of all, thanks for the comment, and for reading from all the way in NZ! I had no idea anyone outside of Orange County, let alone the US read this blog!

And I love New Zealand! I visited there a decade ago, wandered around both North and South Island, and still have fond memories of it (especially a particularly great fish-n-chip shop in Christchurch).

In any case, I'm glad you're visiting my neck of the woods.

I actually go to Chino/Chino Hills area often, but I don't get to explore it as much as I do Orange County.

With that said, some of my OC favorites have now opened stores there, such as:

- 85 Degrees C
- Bruxie
- The Kickin' Crab

Although I've not checked them out, I'm pretty sure the quality is going to be the same as the ones in OC!

Have fun! And please tell me how your trip went!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you very much for another review about us!!!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you very much for another great review!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Kristine said...

Thanks for the reply! Do you remember the area where that fish and chip shop was? (Although, since the quakes in 2011, it's unlikely it's still around.)

I will definitely try and force my relatives to take me to your recommendations!

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Jun,

And thank you for another great meal!

Kristine,

I just looked it up. It was called City Fish and Chips. If Yelp is correct, it was at 265 Manchester Street in Christchurch. In looking at Google Maps, it looks like the building was destroyed in the earthquake :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home