Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pudding and Boba Milk Slush at Capital - Irvine


I may have mentioned that I am addicted to the pudding and boba milk slush with “special sauce” at Meow Meow Café. This has proved to be a problematic addiction. I live in Orange County. Meow Meow is in West Covina. I've explored the alternatives here in OC and until recently, none have measured up. I even tried Half and Half, which was supposed to be known for the drink, but found that it was lacking that certain something that makes Meow Meow's drink so irresistible--a drink that I willingly make the drive to West Covina almost weekly for it.

This last weekend, after another long slog to my milk slush Mecca, we discovered that Meow Meow Cafe was closed. There was a sign on the door that said they'll be shuttered for two weeks for "beverage training"...whatever that means.

So back home to OC we went, sad and milk slush-less, but not before I remembered that Capital at Diamond Jamboree offered two pudding-and-boba milk slushes (or something like that) for the low price of $5. Meow Meow charges that for one!

Was it the catnip that Meow Meow's concoction was? No. But it is actually good in a different way. The slush has an almost pandan-like flavor to it; the boba is soft and pleasureable. And although absent the addictive brown sugar syrup Meow Meow's drink uses, Capital's has a gentle sweetness all its own.

It is the closest to Meow Meow's yet, and most importantly, half the price...because if I'm addicted to Meow Meow's drink, I'm also to bargains.

Capital
2700 Alton Pkwy Ste 127
Irvine, CA 92606
(949) 252-8188

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Hue Oi - Fountain Valley

5 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Dave said...

I recently tried I-tea's and thought it was pretty good-- how much of a step down is it compared to Meow Meow's?

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Dave,

I also tried I-Tea's. Twice actually. It's not bad. But I'd say that if Meow Meow's is a 10 (on a 1-10 scale), I-Tea would be about a 7, in my opinion.

While I'm at it, I think this one (Capital's) is about an 8.5.

Half and Half's about a 7.5.

I'd rate 17 Cafe Ramen's at around 6.

Craved Tea House's rendition was somewhere at 5.

Of course these ratings are just based on memory, not a side-by-side test...which, I probably should do. This is how obsessed I am about this drink!

I'd actually like to hear what other milk-slush connoisseurs' rankings would be.

P.S. I also got a tip that MJ Cafe Express (next to Albertson's near UCI) might also do a good one

 
At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Eileen Likes To Eat said...

I didn't really like I-Tea's all that much. They don't have good drinks there. If you like the pudding/boba/milk drink, you have to try Class 302 in Irvine! MJ Cafe Express is not as good as class 302.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks for the tip! Why did I assume Class 302 did not have this drink?

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, Capital is no longer offering this deal anymore. Just stopped it over the weekend... :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home