Thursday, July 10, 2014

French Market - Disneyland

Disneyland's New Orleans Square is as authentic to New Orleans as the Jungle Cruise is to Africa--which is to say, not very. But the red beans and rice I ate recently at the French Market couldn't have tasted more evocative of the balmy swamp city if Paul Prudhomme served it up himself.

I once read an article that said the people of Louisiana eat red beans and rice more than anything else, especially on Mondays. It's said that the dish is made with Sunday night dinner's leftovers--a low-simmered, one pot meal that required little effort but filled the gut for not much money.

So when I saw it on the menu at the French Market, it just had to be ordered. But I was still surprised how good it was.

The French Market, like most of Disneyland's busiest eateries, is a cafeteria where you line up with tray in hand and the food is slopped onto plates with little regard for presentation. But the red beans and rice was different. It was downright immaculate.

In the deep-bottomed plate, the red beans--spiced to a lip-numbing but pleasant hotness--was the base layer, with pieces andouille sausage mixed in. Then came a sprinkle of rice, a few beveled slices more andouille, and a cornbread muffin straddling the edge. It was one of the best meals I've had at Disneyland, and I've had the corndog.

And to wash it all down: an icy-cold, green-tinged mint juleps. Yes, real mint juleps aren't this green and should be made with bourbon, but it was still refreshing, recharging my batteries so that I could stand in line for that safari through fake Africa.

French Market
Disneyland Resort
Anaheim, CA 92802
(714) 781-3463

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Pirozzi - Corona Del Mar

6 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Dee said...

I don't think I've had a meal at French Market yet.... Elmo, have you eat at Blue Bayou before? Is it worth the splurge?

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I had Blue Bayou long, long ago. Back then, about ten years ago, it was very disappointing. But things may have changed as things do at Disneyland. I might try it again soon to see!

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you might mean a Mint Julep (and not a mojito?)...although when served virgin, a mojito and a mint julep are quite similar, without their respective liquors (bourbon; rum) to identify them. But for sake of Disney menu "accuracy", I think the French Market is trying to keep with the Southern theme...i.e. confederate belles drinking mint juleps on the porch...

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Anon,

You're absolutely right! Brain fart! I'd use the mint julep as an excuse, but it's non-alcoholic!

Thanks for catching the mistake and most of all, for still reading!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Jenn said...

I've been reading this blog for a couple years now, but I haven't been keeping up with it as of late. Imagine my surprise when I see a post about the restaurant I work at!

The French Market has always been one of my favorite restaurants in the park with the red beans and rice as my usual meal. I'm happy you feel the same way about its tastiness.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Jenn!

Thanks for the comment! And for reading! And for confirming that it's not just me who think this dish is great!

By the way, you are an amazing artist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rKWLdeNac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home