Tuesday, October 28, 2014

It's Boba Time - Tustin


If you've been to any new boba shop or Asian drink/dessert shop lately, you've probably noticed that they like lists--Top Tens, to be exact. It could be just scribbled on a chalkboard, displayed on their flatscreen monitors, or made-up as a poster. Whatever the medium, these are countdowns of their most popular items--the things most customers go there to consume and basically suggestions of what you should.

"It's Boba Time" (yes, that's the whole name), the new outlet of the drink chain that recently opened at The District in Tustin, has such a list, and when you go, you'd be foolish to choose anything outside of it. I did once and was stuck with a nearly $5 artificial-tasting and too-sweet smoothie that I had to force myself to finish.


Now I know better. The last few trips I made, I had the so-called Coconut Strawberry, which is #9 on the countdown list. I asked the cashier as to what exactly was in it. He said ice cream, milk, ice, coconut powder and macerated strawberries. And as the list foretold, it was a glorious drink. Creamy without being too rich, sweet without being cloying, it's like having a frothier, lighter version of a shake or a frosty pina colada with strawberries on the bottom.

Confident that I knew what to avoid, I also tried a Frosty Milk Drink with "Honey Boba, Pudding & Caramel", which gets it close enough to my favorite maker of the drink, Meow Meow Cafe in West Covina, without driving to West Covina.

Next time, I might try the #1 item on their Top Ten: The Cookies-n-Cream milkshake, but then that's already in my Jack-in-the-Box Top Three (after the mystery-meat tacos and Sourdough Jack, of course).

It's Boba Time
2481 Park Ave
Tustin, CA 92782
(714) 677-2820
itsbobatime.com

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Restauration - Long Beach

8 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

It's apparently a larger chain than I initially realised but have you guys checked out Bambu? There's one in Irvine in the arbor village shopping centre (behind wienerschnitzel).

Oh, and there's a new place called "popcorn chicken" over in the old 99 shopping centre (irvine center/culver) by the mcdonald's which serves food kind of like night markets in taiwan. you pick the dishes you want and they fry it (or refry), pretty authentic.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I've had Bambu. Not bad. Not bad at all! I remember a fish wrapped in banana leaf dish that I was surprised to find there.

And ain't Popcorn Chicken great? I tried the pork chop rice and it was so good, I did a mini review of it at OC Weekly.

Here it is!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Damn! Thought I had stumbled onto something you've not been to. ;)

BTW, have you guys been out to Eureka in the marketplace? (er... the "real" UCI Marketplace which I guess has another name now.)

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

HA! Yes. If it's new, I'm all over it! Except for Eureka in Irvine. I've not tried it yet, but word is that it's pretty similar to the one I went to in HB, with under seasoned burgers, but a lot of beer.

In case you're interested, here's my OCW review of the HB one.

I might go someday, because, sometimes, I could go for a beer.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

ya, i've been to eureka back when they were mostly in riverside & claremont. didn't head down to the hb one.

lmi if you want to grab a beer at the irvine one!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Sure! I'll ping you before I decide to try it out!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Hoppie said...

I love boba time! I've only been to the Buena Park Location but they have yummy drinks! Love your blog ^__^

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Hi Hop!

Thanks for the comment! I like your blog too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home