Saturday, September 06, 2014

Strawberry Mochi at J. Sweet Bakery - Irvine


The idea is simple, but ingenious. Take a small rectangle of yellow cake. On top of this, add a whole strawberry suspended in whipped cream. Then, sculpt it into a dome covered in a thin, chewy layer of mochi. What do you get? The best dessert revelation I've had since Cream Pan's Strawberry Croissant.

J. Sweet Bakery makes it, sells it in cute little pink trays. And it's as decadent as the hand-holdable strawberry shortcake that it is. But it's also the sexiest dessert you'll ever have. It's all because of the mochi, which has the supple consistency of nibbling on a lover's ear lobe, their lips, and other body parts.

Let me put it this way: You remember the infamous scene from 9 1/2 Weeks? You know the one. It's the only scene anyone actually remembers from that movie. With Mickey Rourke feeding strawberries to Kim Basinger's lips?

J. Sweet's Strawberry Mochi is that entire scene condensed into a foodstuff you can buy for about $3.

J. Sweet Bakery
5408 Walnut Ave. Ste D
Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 654-1768

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Jinbei - Irvine

3 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Edwin said...

Must have one of those. My gosh, I almost got in my car tonight to go get one.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger EatTravelEat said...

I remember these mochi cakes-- they are so delicious, aren't they! I like the chewy mochi combined with the cream a lot.

Also, visited Jinbei after reading your OC Weekly article-- it was delicious! Need to visit again when they have more of their specials available, they ran out when we visited later for dinner.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Edwin,

And I hope you eventually do! These are still my fave!

ETE,

Same here! Need to visit again. And when I do, I think I'll go between Mon.-Wed., so that I can use this coupon.

I'm glad you liked it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home