Thursday, March 26, 2015

Miyako - Irvine


I don't remember how much I paid for this to-go box of sushi at Irvine's Miyako, but at the time I was ordering it, I thought it was too much. It might have something to do with the fact that the cashier and I had a miscommunication on whether it included a miso soup like the other lunch specials. I thought she said yes, but she still charged me for the soup. By the time she rang me up, I was too hungry to protest.

Just give me whatever, I thought. Here. Money.

But then as I stood there waiting for my order to be made, the lady who actually assembled my sushi lunch winked at me and then started to pile on more fish than I thought I was paying for. There was an extra slice of salmon sashimi here, more tuna there, even an extra piece or two of California roll. By the time she closed the foam box and packed it up, I had what I gathered was 20% extra food than what I was entitled to.

I thanked her, took it home, and realized not only was it actually a bargain, it tasted great, too--more fresh, more flavorful, and more carefully made than an office park lunch sushi joint like this usually produces.

But then Miyako has changed in the past year or so. It used to be the kind of quick-service joint heavy on the teriyaki. Now, they've remodeled it and put more of a focus on the sushi. Next time, I think I might even try saying "Omakase!" at the sushi bar, which is kind of like telling them:

Here! Money! Just me give me whatever!

Miyako
92 Corporate Park # H
Irvine, CA 92606
(949) 756-8875

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Pub Thirty-Two - Mission Viejo

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Hmm, here's the menu: http://miyakosushiirvine.com/menu.html

Kind of on the expensive side which I guess kind of make sense since it's a business lunch thing and there doesn't appear to be much competition.

On an unrelated note, do you remember O'Shine (that used to be in the Shik Do Rak space in the Arbor shopping center)? They've reopened in Tustin next door to Monster Sushi. Authentic Taiwanese fare. Def worth checking out!

A second unrelated note, not sure if you ever got around to checking out Kingchops -- decent to good food but pricey for what it is.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Don't get me wrong: Miyako is still very much a business park joint. I wouldn't put it over Shibucho or anything, but I'd go there before I go to RA across the street. Or Tokyo Table, for that matter.

I've actually tried both O'Shine and Kingchops. I liked O'Shine but need more data. Kingchops...well, let me link my recent OC Weekly review!

Review of Kingchops in Irvine.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Damn, you really loved Kingchops!

This review of Miyako really reminds me, have you been over the Tokyo Central (the old Marukai) on Beach? They took out the old different vendor food court and put in a pay by weight cooked food and sushi. Worth checking out.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Well, I *liked* Kingchops. I had my gripes (as you may have read), but was pleased with most of what I had.

However, a Taiwanese friend has since vehemently disagreed with my assessment of the meatball however. He told me when he went, it wasn't even edible.

Thanks for reminding me on Tokyo Central. Need to check that out!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Here are my favorites at O'Shine:

Fried rice
Taiwanese brown meat sauce w/ noodle (Zhajiangmian)
Fried pork chop
Taiwanese old fashioned noodle soup

And you're right in your OC Weekly write up that O'Shine started out having a more HK cafe style minute shifted rather early on to the Taiwanese fares.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I knew it!!! Thanks for the confirmation, Greg!

I need to go back to O'Shine and try your first two dishes.

I tried the last two and liked it a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home