Monday, February 15, 2016

A Poetic Review of Cafe Hiro's Valentine's Prix-Fixe


Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Last night for Valentine's,
We went to Cafe Hiro, as we always do.

They had a prix-fixe dinner,
For forty-nine.
Each person served five courses,
Extra was wine.

There was ahi tuna sashimi,
With cheese mozzarella.
And anchovy, and mango, and daikon.
The combo was stellar.

Next was tartare of salmon,
and raw scallop on chips.
The drizzled balsamic
Tickled our lips.

Beef tataki was on poached cabbage,
The dominant flavor: reggiano cheese.
Since my date doesn't eat rare meat, we said,
"Could you make ours well-done, please?"



And of course, they did.
It's why Cafe Hiro is always our pick.
Next course to arrive was
A giant crab and shrimp spring roll two fingers thick.

At this point we were nearly full,
Our appetites done.
Yet there was still uni spaghetti,
And an arabiata to come.

I chose the steak with mashed potatoes,
as my main course dish.
She had a miso-marinated salmon,
With sauteed veggies under the fish.

Dessert was the usual croissant bread pudding
On a bitter caramel sauce moat.
We also ate a panna cotta with berries,
Our stomachs starting to bloat.

But we loved our meal;
It's our Valentine's tradition.
Till next year, the next prix-fixe,
For my next poetic edition.

Cafe Hiro
(714) 527-6090
10509 Valley View St
Cypress, CA 90630

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Vaca - Costa Mesa

6 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger ChristianZ said...

I've long meant to do a restaurant review in poetic form. Good to see someone is actually doing it.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at Cafe Hiro last night too! It was my first time at the restaurant. In fact, it was your previous reviews of the place that made me decide to dine there. Keep up the good work on this blog and in OC Weekly!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger mpken said...

Love it. Still on my list of places to try. *sigh

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thanks, Christian! But I think you're busy being a restaurateur and all to write silly restaurant review poems!

Anon,

Hurrah! I'm proud to have convinced you to come. I hope you liked it and had a good Valentine's!

mpken,

Get on it! HAHA! It is my goal to keep Cafe Hiro in business until you and everyone else who's not discovered it does--not just by the number of times I've written about it, but by the number of times we've eaten there ourselves (which is, by the way, more than I actually post).


 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Chubbypanda said...

Dude, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to that place. So good!

Love the poetic post. Dunno if you or Christian remember this one I did a while back - http://www.chubbypanda.com/2011/09/sunny-side-cafe-choka-berkeley-ca.html

Christian, are you gonna be manning the Naugles booth at Tacolandia?

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Spreading the gospel of Cafe Hiro is my pleasure!

And I do remember your choka! But it was great to read it again! I Shame that the ROI was low.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home