13 Things You Should Know About Banh Mi Che Cali's Sandwiches
I've written about Banh Mi Che Cali since this blog began. After all these years, it is still my favorite banh mi purveyor. So rather than rehashing what I think of the sandwich or reemphasizing that it's possibly the greatest food deal in Orange County, here are 13 things you should know about Banh Mi Che Cali's banh mis if you haven't been before.
1. The banh mis at Banh Mi Che Cali are constructed from two kinds of loaves: a hoagie-shaped French bread and a slender baguette.
2. Other than the size and shape, both breads are born from the same mother dough.
3. As of this writing, when bought individually, all sandwiches, regardless of bread type, are $3.25 each, tax included.
4. The best deal is the "Buy-2-Get-1-Free" offer on the "French Bread" banh mis, which effectively means $6.50 for three sandwiches (or $2.16 per sandwich).
5. The offer does not apply to the baguette banh mis, which are $3.25 each no matter how many you buy.
6. Cash is the only form of payment accepted.
7. This particular Banh Mi Che Cali bakes their bread in-house, and smells great because of it.
8. The building, as evidenced by the arched windows, was once an old-school Taco Bell.
9. There are multiple outlets of Banh Mi Che Cali, but this one is the only one that's open 24 hours.
10. There are 12 kinds of filling, as shown below, but also a Teriyaki beef and a Vietnamese ham with egg baguette, both of which cost a little more than the original 12.
11. When you go up to the cashier to order, she (and it's always a she) will ask whether you want your veggies "inside" or "outside". "Inside" means you want the lightly pickled carrot and daikon, jalapeños, and cilantro tucked into the sandwich during assembly. "Outside" means it will be set aside for you in a plastic baggie.
12. If you reheat your sandwich in a toaster oven (even a day-old one), it will bring back the crunch on the crust.
13. Some sandwiches contain a smear of an excellent homemade chicken liver pate and mayo, both which you can choose to leave out. But why would you?!
Banh Mi Che Cali
15551 Brookhurst St.
Westminster, CA 92683
THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Mr. G's Bistro - Newport Beach