Wednesday, July 04, 2018

The Flying Saucer a.k.a. Taco Salad at Sabrosada - Fountain Valley


This is the Flying Saucer from Sabrosada. Actually, it's not called “Flying Saucer” anymore; it's just called “Taco Salad”. It used to be called “Flying Saucer” back when Sabrosada was called Alerto’s, because Alberto's, the chain that started it all, also called it that.

But when Alerto’s shed its name and became Sabrosada, I guess the owners felt it unnecessary to keep naming it “Flying Saucer.”

I, for one, still order it by telling the cashier I want a “Flying Saucer”. To this day, it is still understood even though what’s now printed on the receipt clearly says “taco salad.”

I still do it because calling it a taco salad is like calling the Lexus LFA Nurburgring a Toyota--it's technically correct but not completely accurate.

While there is some shredded lettuce in it, it is not the main ingredient. The lettuce merely acts as garnish on top of a meat-centric mass (which can be chicken or beef) sitting in beans and melted cheese. The only thing that makes it fit the “taco salad” definition, I suppose, is the puffed-up and crispy fried flour tortilla bowl it's served in. That's about it.

What’s important is that it's the same dish I ate for decades at Alerto's, Alberto's and its clones. So go out and get it, because no matter what Sabrosada decides to call it, a Flying Saucer, by any other name, tastes just as awesome.

Sabrosada
17225 Brookhurst St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 593-0069

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Miss Shabu - Buena Park

3 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger dumplings said...

This is still my go to dish every time at this location!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Oblio said...

Thanks for this posting. I've worked on Fountain Valley for 12 years and was a regular at Alerto's. My go-to was their chorizo and egg burrito with refried beans added... HEAVEN! Their carnitas tacos were also pretty good with the avocado salsa in there. Since they changed to the Sabrosada chain, I can't say their food is as good as before, and I've tried several of my faves, mostly disappointed. Perhaps I'm being picky, but as a Mexican born in East Los Angeles, I'm sorta picky about Mexican food... go figger! I will try out this dish, never actually saw it on the menu. Thanks for your excellent reviews!!!!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

dumplings,

I cycle between this and the nachos...but it's a struggle to decide. Both are so good!

Oblio,

There's definitely variability with Sabrosada depending on who's cooking. One time my nachos were perfect. The next time, it was soaked in grease and limp. Sorry for the late reply. I was experiencing technical difficulties with the comment moderation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home