Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Shrimp and Grits at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen - Anaheim


To me, an Orange Countian, Downtown Disney has become like The Strip to Las Vegas native or Hollywood and Vine to Angelenos--I don't go there unless I absolutely have to.

Not only is it overcrowded and overpriced, there's now the added inconveniences of the long line at the TSA-style security checkpoint and validated parking that needs at least a $20 purchase from a table service restaurant.

It didn't use to be like this. There was a time when locals could enjoy a leisurely night out--maybe catch a movie and then eat at somewhere better outside Disney property, which, come to think of it, is probably why Disney instituted the changes. They know locals don't eat here.

But now, since I’m forced to spend every time I come, there really is only one option: Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, one of the original Downtown Disney restaurants.

This last visit was for a birthday party. I ordered the shrimp and grits. And even though it was still expensive for the portion size, at least it was well-made, reminding me of shrimp and grits I’ve had in the actual South--comforting, saucy, spicy, and blubbery.

I’m not recommending you go there and get it, but if you’re going to park at Downtown Disney, you’re going to have to eat at Downtown Disney, so you might as well eat this.

Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen
1590 S Disneyland Dr
Downtown Disney District
Anaheim, CA 92802

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Terrace by Mix Mix - Costa Mesa

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birthday party? Well, happy birthday from this anonymous longtime browser of your blog!

And thanks for the tip about Downtown Disney. I only really hear about the place when they make the news for things like the city tax break debates. Didn't realize that there could be entry fees even out there!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thank you Anonymous!

And thank you for reading me all these years! Reminds me that I haven't been back to DD since this post...which is on purpose because of all the barriers they've put up.

Sorry for the late reply. I was experiencing technical difficulties with the comment moderation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home