Sunday, February 24, 2019

Ruth Chris' 3-Course Prix Fixe - Irvine


I have a love/hate relationship with high-end steakhouses like Ruth’s Chris and Mastro’s. While I love the steaks, I bristle at the fact that something as cheap as mashed potatoes are never included with the already exorbitant cost of the meal. It’s always sold “a la carte”, which doesn’t mean “We’re going to overcharge you for fries” in French, but seems like it should.

Enter a Ruth's Chris’ 3-course prix fixe menu, which is a direct response to gripes like mine. With this deal, a $50 investment can actually pay for the ENTIRE meal, not just the meat. For my dinner, the special--which is a permanent part of the menu and changes only slightly with the seasons--included not just a healthy helping of mashed potato I needed to enjoy my steak, but also a big, satisfying bowl of butternut squash soup as the first course.

The soup hit all the notes a good butternut squash soup needs to hit: savory, sweet, silken, rich but not too rich--potage that can actually function as its own meal, especially when eaten with the entire basket of free bread.

Of course, there’s the steak itself, which, at the lowest tier, was a 6-ounce filet topped with a crown of butter-basted shrimp. Like the full-priced version of the same steak, it’s served on a super-heated plate with a sputtering puddle of butter that is Ruth’s Chris’ signature.

And finally, there’s the dessert of a salted caramel cheesecake served with ice cream, which I could only nibble on because I was already full. It was then I realized why I liked this prix fixe so much: being satiated from a steakhouse meal and not feeling ripped off shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

Ruth's Chris
2961 Michelson Dr Suite A, Building 10
Irvine, CA 92612

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Hai Ky Mi Gia - Santa Ana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home