Thursday, May 28, 2020

Take-Out Review: Fatburger and In-N-Out


There are made-up holidays and then there’s National Burger Day, a made-up holiday that could describe every other day for some Americans.

Let’s face it: We eat a lot of burgers and having a day as an excuse to eat another one is just about as necessary as more dour commercials that start with the obligatory words “in these uncertain times”.

But this year, unlike other years, I am all for celebrating National Burger Day. It is a welcome distraction from all the bad news.

And yes, doing so allowed me to justify having my second burger this week.

The first burger I ate I had over the weekend. And it was glorious.

It was a Baby Fat from Fatburger, the burger chain I prefer over In-N-Out not just because I have the option of adding a fried egg, which I always do, but because the patty has a good balance of thickness and those coveted charred crusty edges.

And that’s important because the beef has to stand up against the pickles, relish, onions, mustard--you know--the works.

But since today is a workday and the closest Fatburger is a 30-minute freeway drive away in Westminster, I settled with my number two: In-N-Out.

Of course I I had it “Animal Style” with “Extra Toast”, “Whole Grilled Onion” and a side of “Fries Well-Done”.

"Animal Style" because that's essentially adding extra flavor with mustard, chopped grilled onion, and pickles.

"Extra Toast" because the best part of an In-N-Out burger is the texture contrast between the crunchy lettuce, the steamy soft meat, and the crispy griddle-toasted bun--and you can't ask them to make the lettuce extra crunchy.

"Whole Grilled Onion" because raw is too strong.

And "Fries Well-Done" because without the extra few minutes of frying, In-N-Out's fries are floppy and prone to sogginess.

So Happy National Burger Day, my friends! Have a burger, a meal you don’t need an excuse to eat in these uncertain times.




5 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger KirkK said...

Definitely Fatburger on the char....with a fried egg..... Hope all is well!

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these last few posts "Edwin's recycled hits".

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Anonymous,

HA! You don't know how flattering it is to me that you knew I was recyling my old stuff!

Thank you for reading all these years!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Greg said...

For me, fries well-done is a bit too much, I prefer medium-well. But honestly, at this point, I'll take regular in-n-out fries!😿

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

You know I had no idea they did "medium-well"!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home