Wednesday, December 06, 2017

El Pollo Inka - Lawndale


One thing I'll never tire of is saltado. To me, it's the perfect meal--a stir-fry with one foot in the indigenous culture of the Incas, the other foot in China. It's probably not the first example of a fusion dish to have been invented, but it feels like it should be.

Besides, how can you not love a dish that has French fries in it. For me it's the gateway drug to the entire universe of Peruvian cuisine. And when I have to have it, it's gotta be at El Pollo Inka in Lawndale, the restaurant where I tasted it for the first time more than twenty years ago.

I went again recently and documented it in the Instagram video you see above. I captioned that post this way:

"If you don’t agree with me that El Pollo Inka in Lawndale has the best and most reasonably-priced Peruvian food in Southern California; I. Will. Fight. You!"

While I do honestly think El Pollo Inka is great and hard to beat, I posed my post that way as a surreptitious way to get recommendations of other worthy Peruvian restaurants.

So far, I've gotten a few great tips from none other than Kat De Angelis (formerly of the OC Register) and Professor Salt (one of the original OC Chowhounds).

So now I'm polling anyone still reading this blog: If you've tried El Pollo Inka and have found something just as good or better, do comment and share!

El Pollo Inka
15400 Hawthorne Blvd
Lawndale, CA 90260
(310) 676-6665

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Paper Lantern Dumpling House - Irvine

4 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Greg said...

So you're gonna tell us what they recommended right?

My persoanl fav is El Pollo Inka (1425 Artesia Blvd, Gardena, CA 90248). A bit far from the OC but closer to Long Beach where I used to work.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Rocoto in Gardena and Cerritos is a worthy contender!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thank you, Anon! I didn't know they had an El Rocoto in Gardena! Need to try it!

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Greg,

Aw man! Your comment got directed to the SPAM folder. I fished it out just now. Anyway sorry for the late reply. Funny you should mention that El Pollo Inka. I actually passed by the one you speak of just three days ago. And I was actually wondering if that was as good as the Lawndale location! Now I will have to try it! Thanks, Greg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home