Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Leelin Bakery & Cafe - Cerritos



We go to the Filipino food haven that is Artesia and Cerritos maybe once every two months. As such, we suffer from a month-long lag in news of developments in the area. We only found out last week that Magic Wok (my favorite Filipino restaurant of all time) closed suddenly and has been closed since October (No need to worry though: I just got word they will reopen soon).

And one day a few weeks ago, after deciding we were overdue for a meal at Goldilocks, or at least a mocha roll, we discovered that it has turned into a bakery and cafe called Leelin.

But when we walked inside, it looked as though nothing has changed. The cafe was still there, to the left. The array of breads were stacked on its usual shelves to the right. But most importantly, the mocha roll tasted as good as it always has.

In fact, everything was the same--down to smell. The only different was the rebranding. The new name and logo replaced all that used to say Goldilocks, as though someone went through a bad breakup and photoshopped any traces of an ex from a stash of old pictures.

Word is that after 38 years, a rift developed between the owners of this Goldilocks and the rest of the family. (All L.A. area Goldilocks are now Leelin).

It reminds me of that old adage about doing business with friends and relatives. But perhaps more apropos here is the one that says: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Leelin Bakery & Cafe
11489 South St
Cerritos, CA
(562) 924-5990

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
SOCIAL - Costa Mesa

10 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

*phew* As long as the cheese rolls are still there, they can keep rebranding!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

And they do! As always, they look almost identical to Portos' cheese rolls!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Really? I had no idea Portos sold cheese rolls. But then Goldilocks/Leelin is much closer and probably cheaper than Portos.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Oh yeah! For me, the cheese rolls are the number #1 reason I go to Downey.

And why I was compelled to do this post:

Battle Cheese Rolls: Tropicana vs. Portos

And this post!

More Porto's Cheese Rolls!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Greg Hao said...

Ugh, I really do need to pay more attention to your OC Weekly blog. And like I told you when we went to TK, I'm lazy and Portos is soooo far from the freeway! That's really the thing, I don't mind driving twice the distance to SGV because everything is like 5 minutes from the freeway onramp. Portos is like 20 minutes off the freeway.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Totally agree that getting to Portos' is a real slog.

To be honest, the last time I was there was when I wrote that post.

But if you ever do find yourself there: the cheese rolls, definitely, the cheese rolls...and insist on the ones that are right out of the oven!

I do post daily on the OC Weekly blog...but this is where I roost. I maintain this blog because friends like you are still reading! So thank you for that!

I'm okay talking into an empty room sometimes, but it's encouraging when someone answers back!

So thank you, buddy, for sticking with me on this blog! And, most of all, for commenting!

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any good mocha and cheese roll near Irvine?

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Anon,

Hmm...good question! So far, I've not found either in Irvine. Though I remember JJ Bakery having a mocha roll, I've yet to try it.

As for cheese rolls, I'm thinking I'm going to see if the new Valerio's in Irvine does it...

I'll post here if I do find both!

Thanks for the comment.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened to be at Seafood City yesterday looking for and saw Red Ribbon's mocha roll and Valerio's 2-pc packaged cheese rolls. I tried the individual piece displayed behind the glass(was good but the cheese was not fully filled from end-to-end). I'll try Leelin's tomorrow

Anon

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Nice find! Good to know that there's at least good cheese rolls (albeit half-filled ones) closer than Cerritos or Downey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home