Monday, January 15, 2018

In-N-Out's Hot Cocoa


When I heard about In-N-Out adding hot cocoa to its menu, I considered it non-event. To be honest, if no one had mentioned it, I would’ve obliviously assumed it had always been there. And I would’ve gone on ignoring it for all the other reasons I go to In-N-Out.

Hot cocoa, after all, is the Jan Brady of hot beverages. Coffee and tea gets all the attention. How often do you see anyone reaching for one of those Swiss Miss hot cocoa packets instead of the coffee and tea at office breakroom? And has any waiter in history ever offered hot cocoa after dinner at a restaurant?

I pondered these questions as I tried In-N-Out’s hot cocoa for the first time. On my first sip, I decided if all hot cocoas were like this, things would be different. First of all, it’s thick, rich, and made with what I assume is whole milk. I didn’t drink it as much as I enjoyed it as dessert. It’s almost like a hot version of their milk shake. And as soon as I experienced the candy-like texture of its tiny floating marshmallows, I realized an hour on the treadmill would be necessary to work off the caloric content of this cup.

But despite its potential of making me look like marshmallow myself, I loved it. And I especially like the price. In-N-Out currently sells its cocoa for $1.60, which, I don't have to tell you, is a fraction of the cost that Starbucks charges. Besides, only two kinds of people drink hot cocoa at Starbucks: children and sociopaths.

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
The Yellow Chilli - Buena Park

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this review. I felt the same way you did. I figured it would eventually be phased out. But now I need to try it after reading your description. I trust your words!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Thank you for your comment and kind words, Anon! I do hope you like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home